Candy is one of our Halloween strips this year, and waxes poetic on the days of yore. When I was a kid, the dominating fear on Halloween night was, of course, razors in the candy. Though there were never any verifiable instances of that happening, the fear-mongering was strong.
“In recent years, there have been reports of people with twisted minds putting razor blades and poison in taffy apples and Halloween candy. It is no longer safe to let your child eat treats that come from strangers.” –Ann Landers in 1995
“Somebody’s child will become violently ill or die after eating poisoned candy or an apple containing a razor blade.” –Dear Abby in 1983
Anyway, I find it funny that in our culture today, that there are MUCH more “dangerous” effects in the food we eat, or maybe we’re just more sensitive to it nowadays. I once knew a kid who was allergic to chocolate. CHOCOLATE. I knew another who was allergic to grass. And poor Mouse is actually allergic to nuts.